Table for 3 today! Seamus is in the coffee shop. Truth be told, Seamus is an alias. Why anonymity, why use an alias? Seamus talks about the stigma attached to addiction. When he graduated college and started a career – he was already sober 5 years. They didn’t know him when he wasn’t sober, so what positive would come from talking about his alcoholism?
Seamus found he wanted people to get to know him first, and IF the sobriety thing came up, he would share it. Early in sobriety he was concerned with what people thought, but now he can sum it up with: “You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do,” a quote from David Foster Wallace.
In this episode:
– Seamus Twitter/X: https://twitter.com/SeamusMcTier
For more about this podcast:
– Visit Sober.Coffee website: https://www.sober.coffee
– Sober.Coffee on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sober.coffeepodcast/
– Recorded at Audiohive Podcasting: https://www.audiohivepodcasting.com
– In collaboration with Care Addiction Center: https://www.careaddiction.com